11 Common Houseplants Poisonous to Dogs - Symptoms Of Plant Poisoning

11 Common Houseplants Poisonous to Dogs – Symptoms Of Plant Poisoning

Although the appearance of many plants is harmless and oftentimes beautiful, the plants within our parks, gardens, and houses can be toxic to our beloved furry friends. The smells and attractive vivid colors are what draw us into bringing these toxic plants to dogs into our homes. However, you must be very careful when you have plants within your home to ensure that they stay out of reach from your dog. Dog’s are attracted to unfamiliar smells, and plants are very enticing to them. They could bite the plant and or ingest the poisonous plant causing them to suffer from liver failure or liver damage.

When it comes to poisonous plants, puppies are much more at risk compared to older adult dogs. Puppies are very curious and explore their new world with their mouths; licking and nibbling on everything around them. To help you recognize which plants are dangerous to your dog, we have compiled a list of the most common house plants that are poisonous.

It is quite common to see dogs eating grass, even when they have everything that they need regarding nutrition in their food dish at home. Despite this common behavior, as dog owners, it is important to keep an eye out for your dog to ensure that it doesn’t mistakenly ingest a dangerous plant that could cause significant damage to its body. If you have a garden at home, it is important to check all of your plants and ensure that your dog stays away from them if they are poisonous.

In addition to plants that are poisonous, you must also be careful of chemicals outdoors that are used to treat weeds and pests. These chemicals are also harmful to dogs.

Symptoms Of Plant Poisoning

There are various signs that typically present themselves if your dog has ingested a toxic plant. Sometimes you may not have even been aware that your dog had ingested a plant that was toxic. Therefore, it is important to be very attentive to these symptoms because if they are left untreated, they may lead to the death of your furry friend. There are many toxins that are harmful to our furry friends; these are the main symptoms that present themselves in regard to the ingestion of poisonous plants:

  • Breathing problems that can lead to drowning; difficulty breathing
  • Oral irritation
  • Digestive problems (diarrhea, vomiting) can reach intestinal bleeding
  • Heart problems, which can lead to a heart attack
  • Slow heart rate
  • Dilated pupils
  • Liver failure
  • Upset stomach and abdominal pain
  • Nervous system problems (seizures, paralysis, disorientation, and even coma)
  • Kidney problems, which can reach the loss of some organ or even death; kidney failure
  • Skin inflammation or skin rash and mucous membrane

What To Do If Your Dog Has Ingested A poisonous Plant

If you are in doubt as to whether your dog has ingested a poisonous plant, it is best to go to a veterinary office that provides emergency medical treatment or call the pet poison helpline. It is important to stay calm and explain the symptoms that your dog is presenting as well as the plant that you believe your dog ingested. In the case of poisoning, it is important to take quick action as time is crucial. In some cases, you have to help the dog vomit to expel the toxins from its body.

However, in some cases, the opposite is true. The toxic components can be so dangerous that they are corrosive to the dog and may cause further damage to the dog’s esophagus if they are regurgitated. You should always ask a health care professional or the pet poison helpline for advice as to what to do in this type of situation to prevent further damage. When you take your dog to the vet, you should also take a small piece of the plant so the vet can examine it and determine the proper course of action.

If your dog has ingested a poisonous plant, do not offer your dog any medications or additional food and water. In addition, closely monitor the dog’s behavior and observe any symptoms that may occur.

11 Common Household Plants That Are Toxic to dogs

Below are several of the most common household plants that are toxic and deadly if they are ingested by our canine companions. it is best to keep these dangerous plants out of reach or out of your hose to avoid unwanted poisoning.

Aloe Vera

This plant is known for its healing properties in humans; as it has been used to treat burns for hundreds of years. However, keep this plant away from your furry friend. Aloe Vera is known to cause significant damage to the digestive system and nervous system in dogs if it is consumed in large quantities.

Mistletoe

It is said that kissing under a cluster of Mistletoe brings good luck. However, the berries and leaves of this plant contain substances that can cause vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, and even lead to coma and death in dogs. Keep this “good luck” plant away from your canine companion!

Sago Palm

The Sago Palm is severely toxic to dogs and looks like an average palm tree. In addition, this plant can be found in a miniature version that is a common houseplant. Ingestion of the Sago Palm can lead to vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, abnormal fluid accumulation in the abdomen, abdominal pain, jaundice, ataxia, seizures, tremors, and black-tarry stools. If your dog has ingested this plant, seek emergency medical help right away!

Poinsettia

The Poinsettia is another popular plant around the Christmas and New Year’s Eve season. This beautiful plant is extremely harmful to dogs and can lead to severe digestive problems and possible death if your dog ingests the plant and is left untreated.

Dumb Cane

The Dumb Cane plant is another plant that causes extreme digestive issues in dogs if it is left untreated. The plant contains glass-like crystals that can cause severe irritation both internally and externally. It is best to keep this plant far away from the reach of your dog.

Snake Plant

This plant is known for its ability to filter the air within your home. However, it is poisonous to our furry friends and should be kept out of their reach. If ingested, this plant can lead to vomiting and diarrhea.

Lily of the Valley

The small bells and sweet smell of this plant can attract the attention of any playful puppy. In some countries, this plant is given away on May 1st to give good luck. However, it should not be left within reach of a dog as the toxins it contains can cause serious heart problems that can lead to the death of your beloved canine companion.

Peace Lily

This plant is found in many homes as an ornament around the house. However, this plant is toxic to dogs as it can lead to severe digestive problems and internal irritation to the mucous membranes, including the mouth and throat of the dog.

Philodendron

The Philodendron is another common house plant that is very toxic to dogs. If your dog ingests this plant, it can suffer from lesions of the mucous membranes and bleeding in the gums. Additional signs include excessive salivation and digestive problems such as diarrhea and vomiting. This plant also affects the respiratory and nervous systems leading to asphyxiation and tremors. It is best to avoid having this plant in your home if you have a dog.

Dieffenbachia

Dieffenbachia is another common house plant that is very toxic to dogs. This ornamental plant causes symptoms similar to that of the Philodendron. It is best to not have this plant in your home if you have a dog.

Rododendro and azalea

Because they are very decorative, Rhododendrons and Azaleas are usually present in gardens around the world. But they are an undercover enemy as their leaves and flowers are toxic to dogs. These plants can cause serious damage to the health of your dog, including paralysis, tremors, and serious heart problems.

Overall, there are more than 700 plants that are toxic to dogs, obviously, our list is not exhaustive. If you believe that your dog has ingested a toxic plant, call the pet poison helpline or seek immediate veterinary medicine!

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.