Common Foods Toxins Chemicals That Can Kill Your Dog

Common Foods Toxins Chemicals That Can Kill Your Dog

Cleaning Products

Dogs have a sense of smell that is very different and much more advanced compared to their human counterparts. This is why the smells that dogs hate are different from that of humans.

There are many smells that dogs hate, and most of them are found within your home, which can cause your furry friend extreme discomfort. On average, dogs have 300 million olfactory cells that contribute to their incredible sense of smell. In comparison, humans only have 5 million of these cells!

Naphthalene: This is a product that is often used as a pesticide and is known to be incredibly toxic to dogs. Due to the number of chemicals that it contains, it not only generates an unpleasant smell for dogs, but it can also cause untimely death within your furry friend! If a dog ingests even a small amount of this chemical it will likely cause irreparable damage to the dog’s nervous system and liver resulting in diarrhea, constant vomiting, and seizures.

Chlorine: Everyone loves to use products to keep their homes clean that give off fresh scents, but many times these products are chosen without our furry friends in mind.

Chlorine and various cleaning products do not only emit scents that are detestable to canines but they are also terribly harmful as they are highly toxic. When these odors enter the nose, they cause irritations that can also affect the esophagus.

Ammonia: The smell of ammonia is a strong odor that is just as terrible as the previously mentioned smells. It is a product with many chemical components that cause the odor that is given off to be extremely strong. Your dog could also mistake the smell of ammonia for the urine of another animal and cause them to go into a state of alert.

Foods to Be Cautious Of

It’s not uncommon for owners to want to give their canine companions a treat of human food every once in a while. Many people assume since the given food it is safe for human consumption, that is is also safe for their dogs. However, that is not the case when it comes to many different types of food.

For us, eating fruit is usually considered to have great health effects. and the temptation can be great to share our snack or dessert with our favorite furry, especially when he sits next to us with his puppy dog eyes. But as responsible dog owners, we must be careful when giving this certain food to our dogs since not all fruits and vegetables are good for them to eat.

Chocolate: Chocolate is one of the most commonly recognized foods that are toxic to our furry friends. The reason that chocolate is so toxic is due to the theobromine which causes cardiac arrhythmia and the central nervous system to dysfunction. Dark chocolate, semisweet chocolate, and unsweetened baker’s chocolate are the most dangerous as they have a high level of this toxin.

Tomatoes: The tomato is one of those vegetables that, if you eat too much, it can become harmful. Excessive consumption by your dog can cause heart, kidney, and nervous system problems. Tomatoes have solanine and tomatine, two toxic glycoalkaloids, for us and our pets. These substances are mainly found in leaves, stems, and the fruit when it is green. When the tomato ripens, it loses these alkaloids and becomes better for consumption. So when we eat ripe, red tomatoes, they have almost no toxic substances. But those same minimal levels within the ripe fruit can be fatal to a dog.

Broccoli: is a vegetable that you can add to your pet’s regular diet without problems, only in small amounts. (Like most vegetables, in moderation.) No more than 5 to 7% of the total meal for the day. But broccoli is used mainly because it provides many fiber, vitamins, and manganese, and it acts as an anti-cancer and cellular antioxidant.

Macadamia Nuts: Within 12 hours of ingestion, macadamia nuts can cause dogs to experience weakness, depression, tremors, abdominal pain, swelling of the intestinal tract, vomiting, and increased body temperature. If you believe that your dog has consumed macadamia nuts you should seek medical treatment immediately.

Potatoes: are a source of slow-absorbing carbohydrates and fiber, as well as B vitamins, selenium, and potassium. The important thing you should know about potatoes is this: The whole potato plant has solanine (like the tomato), including the tuber. But it is removed when cooking the potato. Never feed your dog raw potatoes.

Garlic and Onions: consuming garlic or onions will cause your dog to develop hemolytic anemia. This illness begins to break down the dog’s red blood cells and causes the dog to stop receiving oxygen little by little. The result of this illness usually ends very badly; never give garlic or onion to your dog as it will likely cause an untimely death.

Killer Plants

Although the appearance of many plants is harmless and oftentimes beautiful, the plants within our parks, gardens, and houses can be toxic to our beloved furry friends. The smells and attractive vivid colors are what draw us into bringing these toxic plants to dogs into our homes. However, you must be very careful when you have plants within your home to ensure that they stay out of reach from your dog. Dog’s are attracted to unfamiliar smells, and plants are very enticing to them. They could bite the plant and or ingest the poisonous plant causing them to suffer from liver failure or liver damage.

It is quite common to see dogs eating grass, even when they have everything that they need regarding nutrition in their food dish at home. Despite this common behavior, as dog owners, it is important to keep an eye out for your dog to ensure that it doesn’t mistakenly ingest a dangerous plant that could cause significant damage to its body. If you have a garden at home, it is important to check all of your plants and ensure that your dog stays away from them if they are poisonous.

Aloe Vera: This plant is known for its healing properties in humans; as it has been used to treat burns for hundreds of years. However, keep this plant away from your furry friend. Aloe Vera is known to cause significant damage to the digestive system and nervous system in dogs if it is consumed in large quantities.

Philodendron: The Philodendron is another common house plant that is very toxic to dogs. If your dog ingests this plant, it can suffer from lesions of the mucous membranes and bleeding in the gums. Additional signs include excessive salivation and digestive problems such as diarrhea and vomiting. This plant also affects the respiratory and nervous systems leading to asphyxiation and tremors. It is best to avoid having this plant in your home if you have a dog.

Lily Of The Valley: The small bells and sweet smell of this plant can attract the attention of any playful puppy. In some countries, this plant is given away on May 1st to give good luck. However, it should not be left within reach of a dog as the toxins it contains can cause serious heart problems that can lead to the sudden death of your beloved canine companion.

Medications

It is important to keep your medication out of your dog’s reach to avoid any serious issues from arising; there are several types of human medications that are dangerous and even deadly to our dogs. Do not under any circumstance provide your dog with human medication; instead, you should always seek the advice of a veterinarian if your dog is sick.

Be sure to keep your medications and pill bottles in a place that is not accessible to your dog. It is not a good idea to have them, for example, on your dining room table or somewhere low, since it will be very likely that they accidentally end up in their mouth. Make sure that your family members know specifically where they should keep their medicines and that they are in a safe place, such as in a closet or drawer.

Tramadol: This medicine is a very effective type of analgesic for people who have had any acute or chronic pain, offering an immediate solution. However, this medication can be lethal to pets as it has been shown to cause an elevated heart rate, drowsiness, and even fainting.

Vitamin D Derived Drugs: Generally, these types of drugs are given more often to people who have bone complications such as osteoporosis, osteopenia, or simply “bone pains.” Less frequently, they are also used in patients with thyroid or skin problems, such as psoriasis.

Whether we intentionally give it to our pet, or whether he accidentally ingests it, it can bring serious complications to his health since it will suddenly raise the calcium levels in the animal’s blood, which can lead to excessive water intake, diarrhea, loss of appetite, and kidney failure that can result in death.

Medications to Treat Diabetes: More and more people believe that they can use this type of medication in their pets without being aware of the real harm that can be done to them. If you or someone in your family has diabetes, you more than likely have glipizide or glyburide in your medicine cabinet. These medications have been shown to cause a dramatic drop in blood sugar in dogs leading to seizures, loss of consciousness, and death.

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.