Poisoning In Dogs – Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatments

Poisoning In Dogs – Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatments

There are items located around your house that can be dangerous if your dog is to ingest them. It is important to dog-proof your home to prevent your dog from being poisoned by one of these toxic substances. There are many different foods and plants that can lead to your dog becoming ill and poisoned.

How do you know if your dog has been poisoned or if your dog has eaten a toxic substance? There are several symptoms of poisoning in dogs that present themselves if your dog has been poisoned. It is important to seek medical attention if any of these signs are present to prevent unwanted health issues and early death.

Symptoms Of Poisoning In Dogs

There are some obvious clinical signs that your dog may have ingested a toxic substance, including a mangled plant, an empty bottle of cleaner, or some missing food from your cupboard. Below we have compiled a list of other symptoms that your dog may present if they have ingested a toxic substance and need medical intervention.

Dogs eating toxic plants is one of the most common reasons why pet owners call the Animal Poison Control Center’s hotline. Sometimes, the animal may require immediate treatment depending on the type of plant that was ingested. The most common signs of poisoning include:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Lethargy
  • Seizure
  • Extreme salivation
  • Loss of appetite
  • Nausea
  • Dry heaving

In more severe cases, or if your dog has ingested an incredibly toxic substance, they may experience liver failure, kidney failure, or cardiovascular problems. Additionally, the poisoning may cause internal bleeding to occur. If your dog is suffering from internal bleeding, it will likely have pale gums, a racing heart, and may cough up or vomit blood. If you notice any of these symptoms within your dog, seek emergency medical attention immediately.

How Long Does It Take For Your Dog To Show Signs Of Poisoning?

Depending on what substance your dog has ingested, the symptoms can take between three to four days to begin to develop. However, this time frame varies greatly between breeds and depends on the amount of the toxic substance that the dog ingested.

If your dog consumes a substance such as alcohol, it will likely show symptoms immediately. If you suspect that your dog has ingested a toxic substance, it is best to seek medical attention right away, even if your dog is not showing any signs of poisoning. Your vet will be able to properly examine your dog and recommend a treatment plan. If you are able to catch the poisoning early on, long-term health effects may be prevented.

What Should You Do If Your Dog Has Been Poisoned?

If you are sure that your dog has ingested a substance that is poisonous, there are a few steps you should take to ensure your dog is ok. The first thing that you should do is make sure that your dog is still breathing, alert, and acting normally. If this is not the case, quickly seek emergency medical intervention.

Keep your dog and everyone else away from the toxic substance. If you have other dogs in the house or around you, make sure they do not have access to the substance that has caused poisoning within your dog. Be sure to take note of what the substance is and check and label or product description if they ingest a chemical. It is best to take whatever the dog ingested with you to the vet so they can observe what your dog ingested and create a treatment plan.

If the poisoning occurred on the dog’s skin or fur, be sure the wash the dog thoroughly and safely. Ensure that none of the poison makes its way into the dog’s mouth; prevent the dog from licking itself while you remove the toxic substance.

It is best to avoid any at-home treatment unless you are directed to do so. Never induce vomiting in your dog until you have spoken with a professional and have been told that your should. Vomiting can also be very dangerous based on what your dog has ingested and what the substance does to the dog’s internal organs. Regurgitation of the substance may cause more damage to the dog’s esophagus and stomach lining.

Call your dog’s vet or other medical professionals immediately if your dog has ingested a toxic substance. They will be able to direct you in caring for your dog. The sooner you seek medical treatment, the better the chances are that your dog is going to recover from the poisoning.

Treatment For A Dog That Has Been Poisoned

It is best to seek the help of a professional and not administer any first aid yourself to prevent further harm to the dog. There are many different poisonous substances, and they all require different treatments to prevent unwanted health issues and death. There are some cases where you may have to induce vomiting in your dog; however, in some cases inducing vomiting may cause your dog to become even sicker. It is important to get your dog to the vet as soon as possible to prevent unwanted health problems and to receive proper treatment.

If you know what substance your dog has ingested, you should bring a sample of it with you to the vet so they can observe the substance and create a treatment plan. This will help the vet to fully understand the situation and create a treatment plan that is best for your dog.

There are three separate categories of things that cause poisoning in dogs:

  • The ingestion of poisons such as drugs, human food, and chocolate
  • The ingestion of toxic substances such as cleaning solution or bleach
  • The ingestion of foreign bodies such as toys or other objects

There are some antidotes to a variety of poisons. Most vet offices have antidotes to snake venom, rat poison, and antifreeze. In most cases, if you get your dog treated right away, the vet will be able to prevent long-term health issues and reduce the damage caused to your dog’s internal organs.

Can A Dog Recover From Being Poisoned? 

Your dog will likely recover with the assistance of a trusted veterinary professional. However, recovery depends on how severe the poisoning was. It may take your dog quite a while to fully recover from the incident. If your dog ingested the toxic substance, it would likely take longer compared to dogs that experience poisoning on the skin.

If your dog has ingested a toxic substance, the vet will likely recommend that you feed your dog a bland diet for the following weeks. In addition, depending on the severity of the poisoning, your vet may also recommend that you provide your dog with supplements to aid the liver and kidneys in removing the poison and help them to recover. If your dog does not improve and symptoms worsen, be sure to visit your vet again.

There are some dogs that develop long-term symptoms due to poisoning. Some of the common long-term symptoms include irregular heartbeat, kidney failure in dogs, liver damage, loss of blood, and neurological symptoms.

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *